Outstanding results mean that Emily Harrison from North Shields has won a place at Edinburgh University to study International Relations. She achieved an A* in History, an A* in Spanish and an A in Politics at A Level.

Emily, Deputy Head Girl, arrived at Newcastle High School for Girls at 7.00 am this morning to collect her results after ‘no sleep’ overnight.  She said: “When I got to school, I grabbed the envelope and then went to a quiet room to open it. I burst into tears when I saw my results.  I am so relieved.”

“I have always wanted to study International Relations and what I love about Edinburgh is that 60% of the course will be focused on IR and that leaves 40% for me to study Spanish too, which is perfect.  I definitely want to be in a big city as in some ways, after the close community at NHSG, I like the idea and challenge of being a small fish in a big pond.”

While at university, Emily is also going to resume her active participation in Sport. A national top ten Badminton player, she made the decision to put sport to one side while she concentrated on her A Levels. 

“It’s another great bonus that I will have the opportunity to play Badminton again at University; it has been a very important part of my life.”

“I am so excited – you can’t allow yourself to think too far ahead before you get your results but now I can’t wait!”

 

Read more news